header

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

rusted Victorian ironwork

rusted Victorian ironwork

When we moved into our house 38 years ago, my father-in-law was in the process of throwing away these pieces of Victorian wrought iron which came from the balcony of the old terrace house they lived in - it was in the era when renovations ruled and balconies were being closed in - we weren't sure what place they would have in our new brick veneer but we took them anyway and they have lain propped against a wall in our backyard for all that time, gently rusting and peeling paint with the ivy slowly fixing it in place, I think the texture and rust is more interesting now than it was thirty years ago, it's more like us now, old, rusty and flakey.

rusted Victorian ironwork

3 comments:

roybe said...

Hello erica, thanks for dropping into my blog and doing a link. It's good to be in touch with another Aussie gardening blog, they are a bit like hens teeth. I like your old wrought iron it gives a garden character. Oddly enough we've got something similiar stuck in the garden. Do you want to be referred as erica on flickr or by your flickr name? cheers Roy

Erica said...

Hi Roy, thanks for visiting my blog, re flickr - doesn't matter, most people stay with their flickr names for the anonimity but it wouldn't be hard for anyone to find my real name if they wanted to trawl all the links I have up (grin)

Erica said...

...and that should be 'anonymity' I can spell, I just can't type